Thursday, May 10, 2012

Berry Breakfast Muffins

Summer is coming. I love berries. There is no better combination I think than brown sugar, cinnamon and BERRIES. I recently made some cranberry orange muffins from a box mix (I despise box mixes, but occasionally they're necessary in a pinch..). I had been avoiding it because I realized after I got home that the box said it only made 11 muffins.. Not 12.. I have an aversion to odd numbers like that. I could handle 8. Or even 10. But not 11. I just can't do it. Being the brilliant person I am, I realized as I was staring at it for the two hundredth time that I had some blueberries in my freezer. Just enough to make up for a missing muffin. YES! So I added them. And it turned out wonderfully. All twelve of them!

*GENIUS*

So. Having an aversion to intentionally uneven numbers and boxed mixes, I set out to find my own. And they turned out HEAVENLY.



YYYUUUMMMM-OOOO!

Okay. Ready?

Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup regular flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup orange juice
2 eggs, beaten
6 tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup frozen blueberries (can also use fresh if available)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350ยบ.

Soak cranberries in orange juice at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl (everything up to the cinnamon on the ingredients list). Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until just mixed. If you're using fresh blueberries instead of frozen, you may want to fold them in at the very end after everything else is mixed so that they stay whole.

Scoop 1 tbsp of batter into lined (or very well greased) mini muffin cups or 1/4 cup into lined (or very well greased) regular muffin cups. Bake mini muffins for 12-16 minutes, regular size for 23-28 minutes, until a knife/toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


If you want these to have more of an orange flavor, you can also add some orange zest, 1tsp to 1tbsp, depending on how much orange you want in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment