Sunday, February 26, 2012

Baked German Pancakes

One of my favorite memories growing up is when my mother would make german pancakes for breakfast. It had to be one of my favorite breakfasts, and it still is. It's so simple, and it's GOOD. My favorite part growing up was watching how the "walls grew", and now my kids enjoy the same thing.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Place the butter in a 9x13 pan, and place in the oven while it's preheating. Make sure to keep an eye on it while you're preparing the rest, and remove it from the oven when the butter is completely melted.

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs lightly, add milk and combine. Add flour and combine. Batter will be lumpy. 

Once the butter is melted, remove the pan and pour the pancake batter on top. If the batter sat for a minute before you were able to pour it in, give it a quick stir before pouring, it will form a crust of sorts on top. 

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until set. 



See how simple it is? I told you! And it's delicious! My husband adds syrup to his, my kids and I add a dusting of powdered sugar, sometimes if we have whipped cream, we'll add that too. This is so versatile, you can add whatever you want to it. I'm sure that it would be DELICIOUS with some bacon crumbles baked in, or maybe some jack cheese and green chilies and enchilada sauce? YUM! The possibilities are endless. You'll love how the edges puff up and form the wall, and the lovely textural difference between the "walls" and the fluffy BUTTERY center. 

Another note. Yes, this is VERY buttery. I've used margarine before (yes, again, out of desperation), and it came out okay, but REALLY, Paula has a point on this one yet again. Everything is better with BUTTER. 

Glad I could share this with you all, I know it'll become a favorite in your house too!

No comments:

Post a Comment