Saturday, April 7, 2012

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

I found this recipe a couple months ago, and decided it was definitely an Easter recipe. My family is big on strawberry shortcake. As in, a hunk of angel food cake smothered in smushed strawberries (I know, very technical, right?), and a pile of whipped cream on top. Yep. Fancy. I know. My family is also pretty big on chocolate, so of course the idea of this went over pretty well. 


The original recipe was from Pillsbury. I really didn't change anything, other than using my cheap substitute for cake flour (regular flour with a little corn starch added in). 

Ingredients:

12 egg whites (room temp)
1 1/2 cup sugar, divided
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup cake flour (or 3/4 cup regular flour with about 1 tsp corn starch mixed in)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375ยบ.

Whip egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar and salt. Continue beating until stiff, adding 3/4 cup sugar, one tbsp at a time. 

Gently fold in flour, cocoa powder, and remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 at a time. Fold in vanilla. 

Pour into an angel food cake pan with a removable bottom. Even out the top, and place in the oven to bake for 33-37 minutes. Invert pan after removing from oven. Don't worry, it won't fall out. I promise. It's wonderfully sticky. 

After the cake is cooled, run a sharp knife around the outside edge of the cake to loosen it, invert onto a plate. Next, run a sharp knife between the cake and the bottom of the pan that came out with it. Flip once more, and VOILA. Chocolate angel food cake!


I'm trying desperately to be good and not dig into this, but I will definitely post reviews within the next couple of days as to how it turned out. 


******Later that weekend******

Poor light, fluffy cake. It never saw it's demise coming.. RIP moist, wonderful, chocolatey cake. 




**NOTE**
If you find yourself needing a way to not waste the egg yolks that you have leftover, take a peek at this site. There are recipes for 1-12 egg yolks available!

3 comments:

  1. You should also post a picture of it all done up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will. I'll take a picture while it's piled high with strawberries and whipped cream. You won't even be able to tell what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to make sure that you saw this post where I used your recipe as inspiration. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete