Sunday, April 22, 2012

Homemade Alfredo Sauce

I'm Italian. (At least partially). Italian food was always big in my house growing up, and I can usually get my kids to eat it, so pasta is a staple in our house too now. Plus it's easy. Usually I boil a box of pasta then just throw in a jar of sauce, and maybe some sort of chicken or ground beef if I'm feeling fancy, but I thought I'd be adventurous tonight. We were browsing Cost Plus World Market today, and I found a bag of some YUMMY looking spinach pasta "nests".




I also happened to find a recipe for fettuccine alfredo this morning too. Match made in heaven? I think so. 


I wasn't originally going to post about this, but (as an after thought, looking into my very empty bowl) realized just the epicicity of this sauce. Yes. That's a word. Or at least it is now. Even if it's only in my "crazy words I make up" dictionary. I didn't quite have enough parmesan shreds on hand, so I improvised (SHHH don't tell my husband!) with a little ricotta. Add in some spices of my choice, and voila! EPIC ALFREDO.


Ingredients:


1/2 cup butter/margarine (1 stick)
1/2 cup half & half
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
1/4 cup ricotta
1/2 tsp garlic powder (could subs a clove or two of fresh garlic too)
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
salt & pepper to taste


Directions:


Heat the butter and half & half over medium heat in a large sauce pan until butter is melted. Add the cheeses and stir until melted and bubbly. Add the seasonings and simmer for 1-2 mins until thickened slightly. Add pasta of your choice and toss to coat, serve warm.




Excuse the crappy pictures. Please refer to the above comment about pictures not really happening because we all scarfed our food. This last bowl was my 2 year old's. Thankfully only one kid is eating like they're growing. I can't afford to feed AND clothe both of them in growth spurts anymore! My 3 year old however ate two full bowls of this. And four pancakes this morning. And french fries and chicken nuggets for lunch. SWEET JESUS. 


Anyways. Like I said. This was epic pasta sauce. It was the perfect amount for about 8-10oz of pasta, so you could maybe double it if you're doing a full pound? The ricotta adds the perfect little bit of subtle texture and creaminess that the cream and parmesan can't. PERFECTO. 


Okay. I'll leave you all with that for now. Next round of stuff to post? Blueberry Lemon Cheesecakes. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment