Friday, June 22, 2012

Cupcakes For Two - Brown Sugar Vanilla

Ever get that late-night craving for cupcakes, but you don't want to make a whole batch? I have your solution!! I love brown sugar.. and I kind of wanted cupcakes.. but we have a birthday party tomorrow for my daughter, and there will be lots of goodies while there and leftover. Solution? Small batch cupcakes!! The original inspiration I found was for two cupcakes, which would have been perfect for hubby and I since the kidlets are in bed, however, we have an extra mouth tonight, so I decided to go the mini route. I love mini cupcakes. They're perfectly sized, and I got exactly what I wanted with just one. No need to over-do it! Hence, the birth of the small-batch brown sugar vanilla cupcake. If I had them, I would have also added some vanilla bean, but alas, I do not. If I would have thought about it, I would have also browned the butter before hand too. Someday, I will try these again with said modifications. For the moment though, they were a perfect fix. I think next time, I will also make some caramel whipped cream for the topping. 






Ingredients:


1 egg white
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla 
1/4 cup flour
1/4 heaping tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 1/2 tbsp heavy cream


Directions:


Preheat oven to 325ยบ. Fill an oven-safe container (I just used a cake pan) with about an inch of water, place on bottom rack.


In a bowl, whip egg white and brown sugar until frothy. Add butter and vanilla, mix well. Add flour, baking powder and salt, mix until just incorporated. Add cream and combine. 


Divide batter between 2 regular size cupcake liners or 9 mini liners. Your regular sized cupcakes make actually make 3, depending on how much you fluffed up your egg. Bake minis for 12-16 minutes, regulars for 15-20. Baking times may vary by oven.




I had some cookies n cream frosting left in my fridge from a recent batch of Chocolate Cheesecakes that I had used an Oreo crust on, so I just used that, but honestly, it would have been much better with just plain vanilla, or as discussed above, a caramel whipped cream frosting. MMM..

No comments:

Post a Comment